Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Eve, or A Poem About a Oranges, Birthdays, Sweaters, Roasts, Interns, Italian Cakes, Mexicans and Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas -

A Friday night, too -

And my friend, Holly's, birthday

was quite the to-do.

When we searched for a bar that

Would stay open late

It appeared that our outing

Was planned out by fate.

For was only one bar that

Would pour Christmas Eve -

Our beloved Streets of London -

Not hard to believe.


It was already late-ish,

That is, if you're old,

So I sought out a partner

To keep out the cold.

I had one friend named Laura

Who wanted a ride

On my big motorcycle.

Like The Dude, I'd abide.

So I stole her from rapture

Of films well conceived,

And we went for a bike ride

On this Christmas Eve.

We both rode to Old Sacto

To see all the lights

And my timing was perfect

For them to flash bright.

I turned right back around and

We headed on home.

Then I dropped her right off and

Was back on my own.


Like old Santa I flew to

The bar and my crew

Prepped for much merry-making

You know that it's true.

My dear Holly was there with

Danielle and three more:

There was Cynthia, Carly,

And Annie, the whore.

They drank Blue Moon with oranges

By pitcher and pint

And they chatted with boys who

Just might treat them right.

There were Mexican soldiers

Whom Annie had found

And some Firemen with sweaters

Of purplish brown.

Yes the time rolled on by us

And two-o'clock struck

Then the bar made us head home

No matter how drunk.

I then turned to Danielle, with

her pretty blond bob,

I said, "How 'bout a ride on

My big orange hog?"

Oh her eyes sparkled grey at

The thought of a ride

So we walked to my Shadow

Parked barely outside.

Then I gave her a helmet,

All decked out with chains,

I acquired my own with

Orange stripes bright as flames.

I turned over the motor

And she roared to life.

And Danielle held on tighter,

Eyes grey as a knife.


So we drove all of nine blocks

And parked by her door,

Then she asked me to enter

And see what's in store,

When the door opened warmly

And sound blasted out,

Twas a party upon us

Of that we'd no doubt.

The Italian neighbor,

Andrea by name,

And his lovely partner,

His wife - quite a dame -

They had brought champagne over

And cake from a box

Thus the party was on now,

Twas just three-o'clock.

The next twenty-four hours

The T.V. would play

just the film "Christmas Story"

for all Christmas day.

While it played in the background

And Chris served the roast,

We all raised up our glasses

For a Christmas toast.


As the hours kept on rolling

The girls went to sleep.

Firstly Annie, then Carly

Upstairs they did creep.

There were Laura and Chris who

Now slept in a chair

While Danielle and I cuddled

Now barely aware

That Andrea was drinking

The wine from each cup

Though the clock in my pocket

Chimed five when it struck.


I decided to mosey

My sluggish way home

Since the sun would be rising

In air cold as stone.

I said, " 'night" to the party

And guests in the house

And I crept to my Shadow

As hushed as a mouse.


Twas now Christmas's morning

And I just got home.

A successful fiesta

Spent far from alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment