Monday, December 20, 2010

It's 10:37. Do you know where your blogs are?

On December 8, 2010 the world mourned the 30-year anniversary of John Lennon's death. I meditated on this throughout the day and felt overwhelmed by a sense of both hope and sadness. Hope that one day the world would finally hear the messages of love and solidarity that Lennon sang about. Sadness that we still haven't. On that same day there was civil war, political riots and car bombings around the world. People were still dying because of hate.

So I sat down and I wrote about it. I wrote out everything I was feeling and wrote it out well. I finished the short essay and opened my blogger page to post it and was greeted with an unwelcome message:

"Sorry. The blog you're looking for does not exist. If you own this blog, click here."

Excuse me?

What do you mean "the blog I'm looking for does not exist?" Yes it does - it very much exists! In fact, I posted on it two days ago! Something about birds! Very poetic! What the f#$k do you mean it doesn't exist?!

I scoured the internet for suggestions. I emailed google. I called tech buddies. I mourned the death of my blog. In the midst of the wikileaks scandal, I couldn't help but feel I had been hacked and destroyed but for what? Why would someone take down my blog? I'm not subversive, I'm not offensive, I'm not treasonous. Where is my blog?!

For days, bordering on weeks, my blog was gone. I'd check twice a day. Maybe someone had found it. I put up flyers. "Reward. Lost Blog. Small, pretentious, cute. Please email if found." Had it run away? Had it been taken from me? Would I need Liam Nieson-like skills to retrieve it from the evil clutches of foreign blog pimps?

Then finally, one day, out of the blue, I check the address and POP there it is!

"Hey!" It said.

"OH HELL NAW!" I retorted. "You disappear for a week and then just show up and say, 'Hey?' I don't think so! I'm not even talking to you right now! You just sit in your room and think about what you've -- I was worried sick about you! Don't you have any consideration for my feelings? You just sit right there and you -- I am so mad at you! I'm over here trying to spread LOVE and PEACE and FREE HUGS and you're off galavanting I don't even know where! I -- we -- we'll discuss this later…"

I stormed off in a huff, pointedly not posting my message to the world about John Lennon, love, peace and harmony.

It's 10:37. Do you know where your blogs are?

No comments:

Post a Comment